Tuesday, March 29, 2011

EVENTS THAT LEAD TO A GRADUATION


I had just enlisted into the US Army after my 21st birthday.  I had decided to join the US Army to do something with my life.  My life was not going anywhere after High School, and I realized that without any college under my belt, I had to do something with my life, if I wanted to be someone in this life.  So, joining the US Army seemed to be the thing to do. 

I had the greatest experiences of my life during OSUT (One Site Unit Training) in Anniston, Alabama.   I enlisted as a 95B at that time, which was MP (Military Police).   I, a girl, fresh out of High School, that rarely wanted to take orders even from my STEP-Mother, was now going to enter into the world of the US Army, and be told what to do, from the time I woke up in the morning, to the time I went to bed.  Oh, and even while I slept, the US Army told me what to do.   What an adventure, I thought.  

My adventure began, that one cold day in January 1991, when I was told to “GET off the BUS”.  Basic Training was the greatest time.  I met a lot of nice people from all over the country.  All these people were coming to the same place to learn and experience the same things that I was about to experience.  Learning the ins and outs of the US Army was exciting, and demanding at the same time.   If we put our minds to something that we want bad enough, we can experience the WORLD.  

Light Anti-Tank Weapon (LAW) Training

Graduation day was coming, and I knew my family was going to come down to see me all dressed up and see me at my best.   We as a group had just been through a lot in the last weeks leading up to Graduation.  There were classes to pass, and things to do to prepare our uniform for the “Big Day”.    The “Big Day” finally arrived, and I think I was just as nervous to Graduate, as I was to start training on that first day.

All of us MP’s were now a group of individuals that had grown together, and had experienced things in our lives that we never thought that we would to make it to this Graduation Day.   As we entered the open Bay of our platform where we were to line up and to dress right dress, just as we all had for the past few months, there was a sign of relief.   We are all graduating, and our families are here and are very proud.   We were all proud as well.  




As we walked passed all of the families that were there to show their support, and show off their offspring, the cheers of the crowd were unbelievable.  To walk across a stage full of higher ups, that had been there to help us get to this point was even more exciting.   

I will never forget the feelings I had, as I accepted a Certificate/Diploma that I earned, and was proud to carry.   (LB)

No comments:

Post a Comment