Friday, May 20, 2011

Officer Candidates in White Phase: SPC Swanson & SPC Reyes-Lane Share About BRM

Event Description: Basic Rifle Marksmanship
White phase consists almost entirely of BRM and ARM and nearly every day is spent at the range. Trainees are constantly drilled on the four fundamentals; Steady position, Breathing, Aim, and Trigger Squeeze through the “crawl walk run” instruction method. BRM culminates with a qualification range. Soldiers must meet a minimum standard of 23 out of 40 to continue with training.
Experience:
SPC Swanson: Always check and re-check your weapon.  The lead up to BRM was highly frustrating for me as one of my sight controls was loose and would move every time I shot. We discovered the issue the day before qualification, luckily, but I was still racked by nerves.  Once I was in my position and the first target popped up, all my nerves went away.  Even though my score wasn’t anything special – it felt really good to receive a first time “go.”  I took extra advantage of my Drill Sergeant’s experiences, asking for tips or for them to re-check my techniques.  It’s important to take every aspect of this training seriously…even when the drills that feel mundane. Never think to yourself “Well, I don’t want to go combat arms,” or “My job will keep me on the FOB,” because when these skills matter someone’s life could be on the line- yours or your Soldier’s.
SPC Reyes-Lane: Coming to BCT, I was excited for BRM. BRM is probably the most important event for every Soldier.  It is critical that Soldiers follow, understand, and learn the four fundamentals.  It is critical for Soldiers of every shooting background, prior experience or not, to heed the advice of Drill Sergeants and not attempt to adjust things on their own.  More than learning how to shoot, it is also necessary for soldiers to learn how to properly clean and maintain the weapon.  During qualification I personally shot 29 out of 40, on my first time go.  However, in the days leading up to the qualification day I had numerous misfeeds and weapon malfunctions.  I found this personally frustrating.  Given this it is equally important that Soldiers known how to effectively and safely handle and clear malfunctions.  The lessons learned for me were weapon maintenance, fundamentals, and safe cleaning.  The day of qualification my only thought was this: “In battle the only bullets that count are the ones that hit.  A Soldier who cannot shoot is a soldier who counts for little in battle.” - Theodore Roosevelt.  I found this quote at one of the ranges the day before qualification.  Remember it on qualification day, ALMOST DOESN’T COUNT IN WAR!               
Take Away:
§  Clean, clean, and clean your weapon. Google “bore snake” and invest in one before BCT.
§  Listen, listen, and listen.  The 4 basics works, but they don’t always come naturally; take the corrections given to you by the Drill Sergeants and apply them.
§  Pay attention to safety.  Know where your muzzle is pointing at all times.  Follow all instructions.
§  Take this seriously. Non-qualification will get you recycled.
Event Description: Advanced Rifle Marksmanship
Trainees build upon BRM fundamentals towards applications in real life scenarios.  Trainees hone techniques using multiple targets, night vision goggles, different firing positions behind cover and at the electronic simulation training range (EST).
Experience:
SPC Swanson: This section of rifle marksmanship was a lot of fun.  We’re assigned to a smaller company so there was plenty of ammo and range time!  The most interesting training for me was shooting using Night Vision Goggles, a rare opportunity in my civilian life.  It was disorienting to see the night all in green and only out of one eye, but I was surprised at how well we could see! The laser scope also made it easy to hit that center mark.  The Drill Sergeants tailor this part of the training around real life combat situations, Engagement Skills Trainers even allowed us to train under the duress of making “shoot or don’t shoot” decisions.  Going through those training scenarios made real to me that enemy combatants are not green dummy targets.  That is a reality that every Future Soldier needs to realize; I had to come to terms with it during this phase and wanted to write seriously about the training.  Both SPC Reyes-Lane and I had the thought “This is what it would be like in a deployment situation,” several times.  However, the training itself is a lot of fun. Enjoy it and focus to shoot your best every time.
Take Away:
§  Be aware. ARM has a lot going on at the range.  Safety is always a priority so re-check your safety checks.
§  Have fun. If you do end up in a non-combat arms branch then your opportunities to shoot awesome weapons could be limited to basic training.

No comments:

Post a Comment