Thursday, May 19, 2011

Officer Candidates in White Phase: SPC Swanson & SPC Reyes-Lane Share About Foot Marches

Event Description: Foot March Three and Four
During White phase, soldiers complete two foot marches; 7.45 miles and 9.97 miles, both in full gear.  The marches were over various terrain and elevations, including a stretch along a sandy road, to a range and also to the beginning of a two day field training exercise.  Both foot marches are completed with more gear than those in Red phase. These events are important in teaching the values of Army Ethos number 2 and 3: Never accept defeat and Never quit.
Experience:
SPC Swanson: To be frank, the longer foot marches are a bunch of “suck” that just needs to be embraced.  Right before the ten mile march, I succumbed to the barracks crud and came down with bronchitis. I was afraid that I would be unable to complete the foot march because I was so sick.   There were miles that I wanted to quit, but finishing the ten mile felt really good.  At the end, Reyes called out “River Raiders!” as I marched by, we were happy to be finished as now the only major requirement between us and graduation is the final pt test.  What I did look forward to, however, was the quiet time of a foot march.  When the longer mile foot marches come around, the Drill Sergeants make sure that everyone is physically ready to for the distance and gear load. 
SPC Reyes-Lane: WOW. The seven mile foot march was extremely difficult for me as I was not mentally prepared for the challenge. In addition this march was completed on a day that was hot and I was not physically prepared to deal with the South Carolina humidity after so many cool days.  The ten mile march I was somewhat excited for. On the morning of the march we were informed that Osama Bin Laden had been killed. Energized over this news I was excited to be marching out and tasked with completing the march so that I could be one step closer to becoming a Soldier and aiding in future historical events. I completed both marches with no major issues other than rolling my ankle on the seven mile march. Be aware and watch your step. In addition, if you encounter a physical issue do not be scared to see the trainer. The trainer is there to support you and I personally chose to have my ankles wrapped after the seven mile.  However, learn how to push through injuries and do not allow them to be a crutch or excuse to miss training. I believe that this is what led to my successful completion of the ten mile.  In combat you do not get to stop. TRAIN HOW YOU FIGHT!
Take Away:
§  These events will test one physically and mentally, you have to push through any walls you hit.
§  Do not fall out. Drink lots of water in the days prior to help prevent you from falling out. 
This post completes SPC Swanson and SPC Reyes-Lane's stories from BCT White Phase. For those that have been selected and enlisted for MOS 09S, Officer candidate School (OCS) and did not see the Red Phase post you can see it on the OCS Cyber Squad page at http://forums.futuresoldiers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment