Thursday, November 17, 2011

Future Soldier Jessica Adams

Hello, My name is Jessica B Adams (aka JBrandi the Drummer Girl), soon to be PFC Adams. I am from San Antonio, TX where there is everything from BBQ and Mexican food to Chinese Buffets and Fast Food restaurants! I decided to join the Army Strong family after 6 years of going from job to pointless job and feeling like I was getting no where in college. I wanted to be part of a group that was larger than myself and wanted to use my hardworking skills to actually get ahead in life. I used to be in sports since 5th grade and have always been in shape. After I graduated I worked a couple of jobs and went to school full time and my weight went to 230+ pounds for a 5'3" female. I decided that I wanted to turn my life around and do something for myself. So I went to a great friend of mine (We will call her Ms. Luke so she won't be embarrassed) and asked for her help. I visited local recruiters to see where I stood as far as weight standards go. Most of them took one look at me and said "Only thing I can tell you is just lose weight!" I got discouraged time and time again until my friend told me to give it one more try. Sure enough, I found a recruiter to give me a chance after I told him how I wanted to turn my life around. He took me to take the ASVAB and took my measurements. Sadly (LOL) I had to lose 60 pounds to get down to 151 pounds!! He told me to keep going and keep up the hard work. So I took 4 workout classes at a local college, including Jogging, Weight training, Cardio Kickboxing, and yes, Fencing! My final was a 10 mile marathon, Fencing Competition in which I placed 2nd place and bench pressing close to 150 pounds! At the end of 5 months I went back and still needed 25 pounds to lose. I was getting disappointed once again because I had done so much hard work throughout the semester. So I went on my own, along side my best friend Ms. Luke and once again pushed myself beyond belief on my own without a coach doing my own 10 mile marathons around San Antonio and hitting the gym countless times. I took a visit to my recruiter after 4 more months and I weighed 148! This past August, I went to MEPS (hit a snag) and took my first Oath of Enlistment in August (was in the first round of marines, sailors and airmen to take my oath) and only my best friend was there bright and early to take photos cheering me on. I can't explain the feeling of accomplishing something like losing 85 pounds and joining the United States Army after 8 months of endless work. I leave for boot camp next year and I will truly be one of the best and hardest working Soldiers out there only because I have been put through so much from being homeless to being sick and losing everything. Finally as a Future Soldier (92Y) I will be the accomplished adult I want to be at 25 years old and I owe it to my best friend (Ms. Luke who has been there from day 1 pushing me to never stop) and my recruiter.
Army Strong 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment