Thursday, December 29, 2011

Future Soldier Cynthia Escalera

My name is Cynthia Escalera. I'm 20 years old and I'm a Future Soldier in the United States Army. It's not easy to decide to join any branch of the military. It takes strength to even take that step. But I woke up one day realizing I had no direction, no money, and no will to continue living. I used to be such a vibrant individual. And just like many of you, I thought I had all of the time in the world to become an adult. Yet there I was, in debt and with no idea where I would live.

My friend had just come back home from Air Force boot camp and she seemed so happy. I wanted to be that happy again. So I started talking to recruiters from every branch. But the Army stood out. They cared about what I wanted and knew what it would take to get me there. I wasn't just a number to them. I was a Future Soldier...a young woman who could carry on serving the country when it was my turn.
It was all a blur. Between meeting the recruiters and MEPS to even swearing in (which was the proudest day of my existence). Now I'm just waiting to ship out to Ft. Leonard Wood, MO in February.

I'm trying to enjoy my civilian life while I'm still here but I'm just getting into the balance of preparing for Basic Training as well. I've already made friends who will train with me and I feel like a family already. The Army has given me security and I would whole-heartily give any individual a thumbs-up if they joined as well. Joining the Army was the best decision I ever made for myself. I can finally be proud of myself.

Pvt. Escalera
42A Future Soldier
US Army

1 comment:

  1. I went to Ft Leonardwood for Basic Training 14 years ago. I am still proudly serving. I'm sure you will have a successful and incredible career!

    ReplyDelete