Thursday, January 12, 2012

Future Soldier Denise Walker

Hi, well I am Denise Walker; I am a Future Soldier (HOOAH). I am 18 years old and was born in a life nobody would ask for. I can say where I come from, I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have a goal. My goal has always been the Military. When 09-11-01 took place I was 7 years old and I was so hurt to see innocent lives, to see kids my age, infants, toddlers, teenagers, adults, senior citizens, and government officials killed. I started asking different people about the Military and they would say to go to the Navy or Airforce. At the age of 12, my adopted mom passed away. I knew right then and there that I was all alone, no family, no nothing, and needed a career that could be beneficial to my future family.

I went on one of my relatives' computer and typed in US Female Marines and saw how low of a percentage were Marines and how they were the best. Then I typed the US Army and saw all of these jobs and programs and saw a video of a female Soldier, who was in foster care and I was like if she can be in the Army, then I can. I was set on my decision; my foster home was down the street from Paramount High School and I was in Army JROTC and wore the Class A Uniform with pride, but when I wore the ACU, I felt a sense of courage I have never felt before. On October 12, 2011 at 4:30 p.m myself and other Future Soldiers were called in to swear in. As I raised my right hand and said: I, Denise Walker, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of the Military Justice, So help me God.

I said those words with no regrets, no fear, nothing other than faith and hope to a better future. The Army is it for me there's no turning back . And now with me being an Army soldier, there is no sense of fear or doubt, this was the best decision I could have made!

2 comments: